Do it yourself : The best open-source home surveillance system on raspberry pi !
Dear fellas ,
At first , kind thanks to Cris Crisan in regards to his share on github as this initiative will make your life easier .
Before Proceeding :
- Read the general Installation page first.
- These instructions apply only to an up-to-date Raspbian Stretch.
- All commands require root; use
sudobefore each command or become root using
- If you want to use the CSI camera module for the Raspberry PI, make sure you have enabled it in
- Installation instructions confirmed on RaspberryPiOS 20210507 Lite, on 10/23/2021
- Installation instructions confirmed on RaspberryPiOS 20210507 Full Desktop, on 10/23/2021
apt-get install ffmpeg libmariadb3 libpq5 libmicrohttpd12 -y
wget https://github.com/Motion-Project/motion/releases/download/release-4.2.2/pi_buster_motion_4.2.2-1_armhf.deb dpkg -i pi_buster_motion_4.2.2-1_armhf.debnote: Raspbian Buster comes with
motionversion 4.1; it is however recommended that you install version 4.2, as indicated above
- Install the dependencies from the repositories:
apt-get install python-pip python-dev libssl-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev libjpeg-dev libz-dev -y
motioneye, which will automatically pull Python dependencies (
pip install motioneyenote: If
pillowinstallation fails (hangs and ends at 99%),
you can install it from official repos using
apt-get install python-pil -y
pip install motioneye.
- Prepare the configuration directory:
mkdir -p /etc/motioneye cp /usr/local/share/motioneye/extra/motioneye.conf.sample /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf
- Prepare the media directory:
mkdir -p /var/lib/motioneye
- Add an init script, configure it to run at startup and start the
cp /usr/local/share/motioneye/extra/motioneye.systemd-unit-local /etc/systemd/system/motioneye.service systemctl daemon-reload systemctl enable motioneye systemctl start motioneye
- To upgrade to the newest version of motionEye, just issue:
pip install motioneye --upgrade systemctl restart motioneye